Need maintenance tips to prolong the life of your home? Whether you’re a first-time buyer or your home is heading to market, it’s important to invest in regular upkeep to avoid hefty costs in the long-run and make the most on a future sale. A seasonal facelift can also improve your family’s quality of life. Here are low-cost ways to spruce up your home.
Power Up With Stylish Lighting
Light can make or break a good a first impression. It makes rooms look bigger, friendlier, and helps potential buyers envision the space as their own. Try these quick, easy ways to welcome more light (and guests) into your home.
- Trim bushes so they don't block windows. Natural light is a highly sought-after feature for any company you may keep.
- Replace heavy curtains with a more sheer material. It adds privacy, personality, and lighting control.
- Add outdoor fixtures, such as solar lights, flood lights, or porch and patio sconces. It illuminates the finer points of your home’s exterior and adds the impression of safety and security.
- Use warm, incandescent light bulbs indoors to achieve a cozy, comfortable atmosphere.
Destress with a Declutter
Simplify your space to keep it smart and tidy. When you have less to clean, you have less anxiety and less to prepare in the event of a sudden house showing.
- Add a cork wall to your shed to keep your garden tools stored and organized.
- Put in attractive baskets for your children to put away their toys.
- Fill a trash bag with unused items, such as clothing that hasn’t made it out of your closet in the last six months.
- Use trays for a modern way to structure your toiletries.
A hint of green and fragrance can transform a stale space with fresh energy. Titillate the senses for a memorable visit.
Bring Décor to Life
- Place a pot of bright flowers or a small evergreen on your porch for a welcoming vibe.
- Buy flowering plants for windows to pique the interest of passersby.
- Set fruit or artificial flowers on any table for a charming centerpiece.
- Adorn your door with a seasonal wreath for an attractive greeting.
- Set out potpourri or scented candles to contribute to a spa-like ambiance.
Upgrade Your Accents
Tiny touches are what make the difference between drab and chic.
- Replace your muddy doormat to grace your guests’ feet.
- Fix new doorknobs for a shining entrance into every room.
- Update your mailbox for sleeker curb appeal.
- Furnish your sofa with bold, patterned throw pillows that complement your color scheme.
- Swap out grubby, dated towels with soft, colorful ones that look more hygienic and less personal.
Landscape Your Litter
A poorly preserved outer structure doesn’t bode well for what’s inside your walls. To draw guests in, mesmerize them from the beginning.
- Edge the grass around walks and trees for refined boundaries.
- Polish or replace your house number to clearly mark that your guests have arrived.
- Clean your gutters and power wash your façade. A gunky exterior doesn’t imply a cleanly interior.
- Slap a fresh coating on your driveway to remove any unsightly oil stains or tire tracks.